Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My second Super Bowl abroad

Four years ago, while studying in Dublin, I watched the Colts-Bears Super Bowl at a sports bar in that city. The place had about 17 Bears jerseys and maybe 2 Colts ones, so the majority of the place was disappointed at the outcome. The game came in crystal clear, though, beamed into the TV on Sky Sports, Rupert Murdoch's British satellite sports channel.


Four years later, a different story.

Sure, I watched it on a laptop in a basement at 3:30 am on a school day.

Sure, the internet feed was choppy for 75% of the game, only relenting during the 2nd quarter. (On a bright note, it was choppy during much of the halftime show as well.)

Sure, I only saw one touchdown (Greg Jennings' second) live.

Sure, I saw the Steelers' last play as their QB taking the snap, then freezing for ten seconds, then a shot of Aaron Rodgers celebrating, indicating (somewhat anticlimactically) that the Packers had won.

Sure, had I been in WI, there would have been bedlam around me.

But:

This man is not Mikheil Saakashvili

1 comment:

  1. Mikheil getting a bit too much air time for you, I take it.

    I drove home from Starbucks Sunday evening at 5:30.
    I was absolutely the only car on the street, in any direction, including intersections, for the entire trip. True, it was only half a mile, but still...it was like 6 a.m. Christmas morning.

    And I guess for a lot of people in Wisconsin, it WAS like Christmas morning!

    ReplyDelete